Saturday, September 15, 2007

elevator troubles

Riding in an elevator is a simple enough task. If you want to go up you push the up arrow, to go down the down arrow. True, some individuals are genuinely convinced that if you want to go up you should push the down button since you want the elevator to come down to you. But aside from this tiny fragment of the population, humans seem to understand that the elevator process is beyond relatively simple. Which makes me wonder why, at least once a day, I feel obliged to push the 5 button when I get in at the 5th floor... or in some cases the L button when I just walked in from the lobby. One time would be funny but this daily ritual is worrying... primarily because it is becoming a ritual. (Fast forward 40 years and I may not even notice that the elevator car isn't moving.)

Reasonable explanations for this mindless behaviour are nonexistent. But if a conclusion needs to be drawn it would be this: I can kiss goodbye any shot at a spot in the hormonally-charged GA elevator

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 AM

    You expect mental melt down at age 62????? Better start taking your gingko immediately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're telling the world my secrets (told to you in confidence). =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I can't keep secrets (just ask a certain Irish girl in Glasgow). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divulger of secrets, eh? I bet you just want to create incentives for others to become pathological liars. :)

    And still, of all the tantalizingly juicy secrets you could possibly divulge... you choose one about elevator buttons!?!?

    Ooh, I bet it's actually a hormonally-charged metaphor!

    ReplyDelete