Sunday, November 26, 2006

PB without J

Mr. Miyagi (the irish-american one) recently brought to my attention the need for more golf musings (since I am in the ancestral seat of the game and all that). The Sensai also indicated that he would be extremely disappointed if highly flattering remarks to himself were absent from any such anecdotes. As I must attempt to accommodate my readership... Besides, while I know most of you don't care a fig about overly-involved golf yarns, do you really want to read yet another post about the rain in Spain or Scotland/Glasgow/whereever? [For those of you who like the reflections on nearly-arctic climate, I've got a charming piece planned on abandoned umbrellas.]

Now, you may not have had the first-hand opportunity to observe the oddity of the Scottish, but trust me when I say they are very special. For one thing, they are proud of securing a world championship; that it is in Elephant Polo doesn't seem to detract from the splendour of the accomplishment though they do call it Elephant Pole in hopes that the naive will think that it is a track and field event. I've only been here a few months, but I've yet to see any Elephants in Scotland. (For those of you unfamiliar with EP...it's literal.)

And then there is "football" which they claim to have created. For the rest of the world, this is historically significant though most Americans probably scratch their heads and wonder why anyone would voluntarily confess to such an act. Whether they actually invented the sport is rather immaterial. That they are completely daft about it, is not. For whatever reason, watching a live tie (match) is provocation enough for very round men with pasty white legs to don kilts. (And I was foolish enough to think that this was merely an urban legend and move here anyway.)

Then there is that activity they thought up which has placed them continuously atop the most-hated-nation list of golf-widows the world over. By this point, I should hardly be surprised that sanity and Scottish golf don't exactly walk hand-in-hand. Then again, they caught me off guard. Minutes prior to the start of today's match I was asked if I preferred to play off mats or out of the first cut. I couldn't possibly have heard that correctly... so I took out my headphones and asked them to repeat. Yes, I was being asked if I would rather carry a mat around with me all day to hit shots off of or merely move all balls into the first cut. The fairways, they explained, were so wet that playing off them would ruin them for the winter. (Maybe the fairways are trying to tell us something... ever think of that?)

I might be in Scotland but I've still retained my reasoning ability. A quick back of the scorecard probability distribution indicated strongly that I was likely to be in the first cut anyway --on the margin, a mat would be superfluous. As it happened I hit an unusually high percentage of fairways on the day, though I quickly started aiming for the side of the fairway so as to enable the shortest walk between where the ball was hit and where it would be hit from. It was sort of like cart-path golf, just with sink-holes, boggy fairways, and bunkers-turned water hazards (and I'm not even going to start on the "winter greens").

At the end of the day, a pair of triple salchows followed by a double axel/eagle lutz had landed me atop the leaderboard. I blame my sensaishea... after all, he was the one who showed me that golf without comedy was like peanut butter without jelly. In other words, it would be a sane Scot!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Since you, my perfect pupil, spent most of your life playing an imperfect game, I am glad to see that you are writing about the game that has taught you so much about yourself. Being that you are in the land where golf began, I cant think of a more opportune local for you to write an "overly-involved golf yarn". Since I still am your "Sensei", I offer you this bit of coaching, make your way out to the Swilken Burn Bridge - probably one of the most photographed places in the world and most historic in golf. The same bridge traversed by the likes of Old Tom Morris back in 1860, Bobby Jones in his first British Open in 1919, the famous golf Architect, Alister MacKenzie(Who is credited with designs of the OLD COURSE and Pasatiempo CC in Santa Cruz where you played some of your junior golf), Arnold Palmer for the past 50 years, Jack Nicklaus this past year, and yours truly, GOLO Sensei in 1990. Purchase a pewter mug and have it engraved with the "The Schwartz Golf Champion". At sunset grab some friends and your favorite beverage and appreciate where it all began. Then just before you leave drop to one knee and dip the mug in the BURN, a symbolic gesture making it worthy of your family's event. Then, just as every tourist in the area does every day, take a picture. It will grow in value with the time that passes young grasshopper. Oh, and one more thing: Don't forget to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just may be the nicest thing you could've said about my game. Thanks... (who knew that as time passed you would forget all the gray hair I gave you... or should I say, the gray hair my eight iron gave you!)

    I promise to make my way to the Swilken Burn Bridge and do everything you said to the tee.

    Young Grasshopper

    ReplyDelete