Saturday, May 12, 2007

enough is enough?

I used to wonder whether the kid who got everything he wanted for christmas was happy. [It was always a "he" because in my ideal christmas I would be transformed into a boy.] Would he fully recognize his good fortune? Or would the memories of past, imperfect christmases somehow sour the ideal one? Would the uncertainty of a less than perfect future embitter?

Never having experienced perfection, in any of its manifestations, I can't pretend to know what it feels like. However, I am convinced that it just doesn't matter. If divorced from our pet expectations, even if only for the briefest of moments, we would see that the logarithmic function of life brings us exponentially closer to fulfillment than we ever imagine.

Of course, this means that we can't ever actually touch it. But, if there is an upside to imperfection it is this: the certainty that the quest to approach zero will always remain.

And I realize, being a sink with an open drain isn't so bad...

9 comments:

  1. Well, number one, you're right. It's good to want things. Life is about the journey and the struggle, not the destination (which, ultimately, is to be plant food, heh). And you need the disappointment and the bad times to fully appreciate the good times. To always and immediately get what you want would ultimately be a dreadfully boring and unfulfilling experience.

    Number two... eh, I forget number two.

    Number three, that you want to be a boy for Christmas is disturbing in so many ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: no 3... I put it in the past tense didn't I???

    Seriously!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Uhhh.......(scratches head).

    Well, the chase is always better than the catch. Some catches however, are better than chases and one should regularly ask oneself 'WHY' I am chasing, 'WHAT' am I chasing, and if I got it, would it make me happy....?

    Be careful what you wish for?

    Physician, KNOW thyself.... ;)

    (I believe you do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This got nothing to do with the chase or the catch. It's about realizing that we've been asking the wrong question...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Which is......?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There's something to be said about a glass half full, about knowing when to say when. I think it's more of a floating line, a barometer of need. Of desire. It's entirely up to the individual, and it depends what's being poured. Sometimes all we want is a taste. Other times there's no such thing as enough, the glass is bottomless... all we want is more."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:42 PM

    deep.

    I still think the question, and the answer we first think of is usually the correct one....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach be so dark and twisty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i be no plagiarist

    ReplyDelete