Monday, April 09, 2007

Since You've Been Gone

Contrary to popular opinion, blogging is not what I gave up for Lent. Neither was the silence a New Years resolution to eradicate my strong narcissistic tendencies beginning with my overly self-aware musings. In truth, such a resolution is entirely too difficult for one such as I to accomplish. Hushed tone: But I have accomplished all of my 2007 new years resolutions!!! The important aspect to all of this, is that I've returned from the quiet and will once more stoke my narcissism as it requires.

If I had kept a diary over the past months, it might have looked a little like this.

Jan 2. I have met the love of my life. I'm sure I will get no sleep for my heart thumps in the most unusual of ways... though that may be due to actually exercising. This might not be love, it could be cardiac arrhythmia's. And the butterflies in my stomach might not be good flutterings but signs of acute hunger and malnutrition. Unlikely given the quantity of food imbibed over the past week. But this bike make me so happy (I did write bike--- what were you expecting? Boy!?!).

When I look at the little wheels, and white seat/handlebars, rusted bell, one gear, and rusty orange frame I see a future that bears all the signs of long-term commitment and joy. I think I shall call this little-bike-that-could, this relic of the battle of britain, this rather Miss. Marply contraption, I shall name it the "Dr. Seuss bike."

dearest diary... I am so happy.

Jan 12. Dear Diary... I am not so happy.

I rode Dr. Seuss to school for my first day of classes and I didn't bring a change of clothes. Considering that I left in the middle of a downpour, this wasn't as unavoidable as most kind people would assume. I spent 9hrs in wet jeans and was most miserable. I think I may have cried. Of course, falling off of Dr. Seuss has given me new confidence... I am now a most confident cyclist knowing (as I do) that I will always land on my feet.

btw... my new job isn't so bad though it does mean riding Dr. Seuss back at 2am on occasion.

Feb. 10 Dear Diary

I am a tad bored. Malta is gorgeous and the bumpy buses are so much fun, but I didn't bring anything to read. Besides, I am homesick... that palm tree at the airport did that. I won't be hiring a bike like I had intended seeing as the Maltese can't drive (my bus hit a car a couple hours ago). But, I've taken loads of pretty pictures, walked around Valletta, and discovered for myself a quiet little creek off Grand Harbour that will no doubt be my mental "happy place" for years to come. And now, nestled up with my recently purchased copy of the Economist I shall be very content.

Feb 12. My camera was stolen. All my pictures are lost. My mom is going to kill me.

Feb 23. Fine, I lied... Feb 25.

Well the joint birthday party was loads of fun... despite the constant visits to the ladies room to blow my nose. I'm surprised I didn't look just like Rudolph... but cuter of course.

I had class all day Friday and I was just miserable. Sniffle, sniffle, BIG sniffle! I was supposed to stay over with the other birthday girl after the party, but she may not want me within a hundred feet of her dorm room. (These and other dark thoughts sniffled through my conjestedness.) Fortunately, she was even sicker than yours truly and didn't mind at all. So after all the classy sniffles, and the sniffly reminders to come by McPhabbs (home of Scotland's best attempt at a real hamburger), and the hurried attempt not to be late for my own party (our own party), and the accidental doubling of the recommended dose of super-drowsy decongestant, the party went swimmingly (other than the slight shoe and hat problems).

March 2. Whispered:
Dear Diary
I've had laryngitis for the last week.... it hurts. How could this have happened?

March 9. I am assuredly the world's worst cyclist. What part of "turning in front of moving automobiles/buses could lead to physical harm" do I not understand. I am such a conservative driver but put me on a two-wheeler and I turn it to the demon of the roads. I almost ran over a crossing guard last week, I almost maimed an old man yesterday, and today I gave the driver of that black Audi the fright of his week.

If I don't kill myself soon, my Dad will fly all the way here to do it for me.

I should mend my ways.

[Editors note: Ways have subsequently been mended.]

3 comments:

  1. Heh. You misspelled "U."

    Besides, we're not the ones who were gone. You were (er... U were).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, I've been here the whole time.

    Also, everyone knows that the correct spelling is "ewe".... as in "baa-ram-ewe".

    Hope that make it all crystal clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a Rachel that's here but silent might as well not be here at all, because the concept of a silent Rachel is just so unbearably sad.

    Although sheesh, you are such a dork!

    ReplyDelete