Saturday, April 14, 2007

Am I an Addict?

I'm afraid that I have once more regressed. Of course, it was all genuinely accidental. I just happened to end up at a golf course with my golf clubs. I didn't even remember how I got there!

As I stood on the first tee I felt myself falling again through the rabbit-hole. I'd been clean for 5 months and as I set up to hit my drive my self-control crumbled into the grass at my feet. Then and there, I resolved that first thing this evening I would swallow a bitter dose of self-help... beginning with an analysis of how severe my problem actually is. (I should warn you --- it isn't pretty!)

  1. Do you ever play alone? YES
  2. Have you ever substituted one course for another, thinking that one particular course was the problem? YES
  3. Have you ever played one course to overcome the effects of another? YES
  4. Do you avoid people or places that do not approve of you playing golf? YES
  5. Have you ever played a course without knowing what it was or what it would do to you? YES
  6. Have you ever been arrested as a result of playing golf? NO
  7. Have you ever lied about where and how often you play? YES
  8. Have you ever tried to stop or control your using? YES
  9. Have you ever been in a jail, hospital, or golf rehabilitation center because of your playing? perhaps
  10. Does playing golf interfere with your sleeping or eating? YES
  11. Do you feel it is impossible for you to live without golf? NO (yes)
  12. Do you ever question your own sanity? YES
  13. Have you ever thought you couldn’t fit in or have a good time without golf? YES
  14. Have you ever felt defensive, guilty, or ashamed about your playing? YES
  15. Do you think a lot about golf? YES
  16. Have you ever played a round because of emotional pain or stress? YES
  17. Do you continue to play despite negative results? YES
  18. Do you think you might have a problem? YES

Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment