Sunday, September 24, 2006

Seven and Counting

In a far-away land, a long long time ago, my mum and dad introduced me to something they called manners. This notion did not come naturally to me, as it is in fact a concept quite foreign to the uncivilized 4-year old mind. But, like so many things that involve parents, resistance was futile and eventually I became quite the well-mannered, though perhaps slightly sarcastic, girl that you all know and love.

As such a polite young lady, I've attempted to use the proper Scottish terms while residing in Glasgow. Instead of asking where I can buy soccer cleats, I ask about 'boots'. Likewise, 'pitch' instead of field, 'university' rather than college, 'underground" instead of subway, 'half nine' instead of nine-thirty. In fact the only local expression that I actually understand but can't seem to say is 'going to the toilet'... yes, toilet is the operative word out here.

So it is only natural, that I say 'football' when referring to soccer. This is proving to be a bit of a problem. In the past eleven days I've been asked seven different times to clarify whether I was talking about American football or soccer. After time six, I got quite clever and decided to just say 'soccer'. Not surprisingly, I received a charming dressing-down about how the sport is properly and appropriately termed football since it is played with the feet etc etc etc.

I can't put up with another such lecture...I'm up to seven and counting!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:52 AM

    the funny thing is that I've been using the term "...going to the toilet.." for the past 4 years I've been in the US and never knew that that's an incorrect way of saying it. How should you say it? Please, make my future years in the US more convinient, languagewise... :-)

    ...and, yeah, Europeans just can't wait for the next opportunity to point out the origins of the word "football" to an "incompetent American..." :-)

    ReplyDelete