Monday, September 18, 2006

Left & Right: Revisited


It is commonly known that I am left-right challenged. The last time this was a particular problem was when I first began driving... when told to turn left, I had about a 77% chance of actually going left. Unfortunately, when instructed to turn right I went left roughly 76% of the time. This led to utter frustration for my poor mom who finally reverted to "hook" and "slice" when giving directions.

Over the years, there has been progress and until recently, this "disability" had only a small impact on my daily life; typically limited to personal embarrassment.

Enter UK right-hand driving. Pedestrians here need to look right-left-right when crossing the street as opposed to left-right-left. This is especially important on busy streets like Byres Rd (pictured above) which border the campus. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure why this is a dangerous situation for someone like myself. Surprisingly, I've only stepped in front of a moving car once. (Dad, don't worry... it was only a little taxi.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:06 PM

    Hi Rachel - This is your currently out of work caddie dropping you a line to say hello :). Enjoy your time in Scotland. Get over to the K Club this weekend.......can't be too long of a train ride to Ireland.

    Mike Zanotto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its genius. Its madness. And I know the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    Now you're in Glasgow - You've got to go to the GFT to make me really jealous!

    Cheers,

    Col

    ReplyDelete