Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Attack of the Brussel Sprouts

Christmas dinner in Scotland includes wonderful tasties. The turkey (basted in a 1/2lb of butter), the gravy, potatoes, and carrots only begin the list. Most delicious of all, is the mound of perfectly prepared brussel sprouts. One, two, ten... is not enough. The mind demands more more more!

Every year, in the wee hours of Boxing Day, scientists see a dramatic increase in GHG levels. That's right -- every year! (Not to mention a funny odor.) Olfactory infiltration aside, this is a serious problem in need a credible response. We need to end our unsustainable dependence on the almighty brussel sprout.

The development and use of alternative vegetables for turkey dinners needs to be promoted; both in the scientific community and in primary education. To do so will not be painless, costless, though it will make our noses happier. But your culinery sacrifice may well be the greatest gift you ccould ever give a child.

So decide today to make a difference.

Because, together we can make Boxing Day less flatulent for future generations.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Where did you come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to tell if this is an existenstial query or a practical one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:24 PM

    It is practical within an existential framework. Your humor has a rare odiferous aroma that imparts a defined sense of origins. From which galaxy are you vacationing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think I understand all the words in the comment... but the meaning is a bit over my head. If I had to bet however, I think "anonymous" is saying my humor stinks. :-) Which would make me from galatica smellia baddiea.

    (Am I really having this conversation? or is just a lemon curd flashback?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Once again you confuse honest inquiry with criticism. Aren't economists supposed to avoid such pitfalls?

    Those from Brussel's have just as much right to sprout as anyone else. I suggest you rethink the issue and move it out of a "dependence / independence" framework and work toward a paradigm that enhances understanding of the issue and works for a meaningful resolution.

    Also, why leave out the refried bean in this discussion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! Most those words I don't understand. :-)

    Its a good thing my ego is underdeveloped otherwise that admission would have even more painful and humiliating.

    But, if we are going to talk about refried beans oughten we to also mention prunes?

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:41 PM

    I suggest you both schedule a time to watch some Rocky and Bullwinkle. I think this will clear things up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ego is underdeveloped? LOL! I don't think anybody with an underdeveloped ego would bother blogging. :)

    No, anonymous is not me; I strive for simple clarity in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear! I think there may now be multiple anonymii posting. How on earth am I going to figure out who anonymous 1 is if there is an anonymous 2 and 3. (I'm not saying that there is a 3... but there could be and that would be a real mess.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:20 AM

    Rachel perplexed? Rachel doubting her humor? Oh my, what has anonymous done to you? (Anonymous 1, that is).

    If there is an anonymous 3, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's never eaten a brussel sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:32 PM

    Anon 1 & 2 plus bystander want to invite you to a fashion show!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Mom! Coming forward like that demonstrates character.

    In the future try not to write flirtatious comments... it scares the readers. :-)

    ReplyDelete