Wednesday, June 24, 2009

... if i could throw strikes

Not to take anything away from Coach Kieran's finely-tuned weekly game recaps -- for I truly believe them Pulitzer quality -- I suspect they lack a certain something. Realism. This small criticism stems primarily from the failure to grasp a key reality, presence on the field. Me.

Of course.

All that is necessary to redeem them from this small, albeit fatal flaw is to include my highlights from each game. Which I will do for you, the reader, in just a few sentences. But yes, first I must positively confirm that had that foul ball hit the windshield or other glassy surface of the Prius, as opposed to the roof, I would have run as far and as fast away as my less-than-petite legs would carry me. Judging from my exceptional performance at the 10K a few weeks past, it is no exaggeration to imagine me almost 1mile away within 24minutes of hitting the unfortunate ball into the front seat of a energy-happy hybrid. But truly, all this attention is making me blush -- so on to the essential highlights.
  • Trotting in from 2nd, I caught a soft fly ball. It was amazing.
  • I threw home for the first time, ever. The guy scored anyway.
  • Recovering a grounder deflected off the SS I spun around and looked intimidatingly at the runner scoring from third. So intimidating that passersby had their breath frozen and would never have suspected that I was dizzy from spinning to get the ball. Blurry-vision spinning. Given the way our team throws, holding onto the ball was probably the best play of the game.
  • In the bottom of the last inning with my team down, I painted the right field line for a double. And I don't care what ANYONE says -- it was fair in spirit.
Next week there will be two softball games to report on. Till then!

1 comment:

  1. alas, there will only be one game next week! my sadness knows few bounds.

    ReplyDelete