Monday, July 14, 2008

how things coming before are discussed after

"So you see I already had my breakdown.” I sip my black decaffeinated Fair Trade tea, weakened with milk. When in Scotland it is only seemly to do as the Scots even if it means partially ruining a perfectly good cup of tea. “It bloody well wouldn’t do to have another one. Greedy wouldn’t you say?”

“I’m not sure bloody well is the expression you were searching for.” Reaching across the small coffeehouse table he grasped my hand to his. “At any rate, it’s over. You got out.”

I smile. That hand grab was awfully well played. Rather impossible to count the number of times I’d been told “you got out!” As unoriginal as the sentiment was, hearing it roll off a Scottish tongue was a delightful addition.

“Geez gal! Your hands are freezing.” With the slight raise of the eyebrow he asks a silent permission. I smile and shyly look down as he “warms” my cold paws.

“As to that breakdown of yours,” with a squeeze a bit strong for warming purposes “it sounds like a sanity break. And you have my permission to be as greedy as you like… provided it involves me!” He throws me a smile initially teasing. It softens as he casually asks, “When?”

“A bit over a year ago.”

His gaze rests gently on my face as he begins to trace slow circles over my right palm with his index finger. This holding hands business across the table is a bit conspicuous for me. I don’t stop him; supporting the direction things are presently headed. Hopefully we can move away from the clown car of my past life. I had been different. Broken. That weakness is an embarrassment.

“Don’t be embarrassed.” He says in his low, rich, accented tone. “It’s a bit… heroic.”

“It wasn’t my doing. My friends rescued me.”

“Look at me.” He gently commands. “You are stronger than you let yourself believe.”

His hands tighten over mine as I shake my head in silent disagreement. My mind wanders back. Back to those sleepless nights in the rickety apartment on 3rd St, tears stubbornly absent. I would hold the pillow close and will the tears to flow. My involuntary stoicism left me feeling like a failure. That feeling of being empty. As if I had run out of all goodness, kindness, and love.

His continued chatter interjects itself into my consciousness. Shame on me, I hadn’t heard a word of that last bit. Scotsmen talk whether or not their audience pays mind so I hadn’t exactly been rude.

He looks at me waiting for a response. “I’m sorry. I was a wee bit distracted. Could you say that again? As in the last ten minutes.” My tone is serious, my eyes playful. He thinks I’m kidding. (Success!!!)

“Em’, I was saying that this place is shutting up. Would you like to go to the PGC?”

“The what?”

“PostGrad Club. You know I’m on the board.”

“I’m not a member.”

“Despite what you may have told me!?!”

I giggle slightly. “You won’t be forgetting that?”

“It’s rather etched into my mind. Associated as it is with how you looked in that lovely undergarment.” His deliberate gaze shifts down from my eyes for a long second.

“And you claimed to remember something other than my cleavage!” mock indignation fools no one.

He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close as we wait for the light to turn. “Oh, I remember everything,” he says. “Your voice, your face, your smile. Your smile when you said you were a member of the club.” He pauses, smelling my hair. “How you left without saying goodbye. And how your elfish friend flashed me your boobs. Repeatedly.”

“Do you remember the part nine days ago when she didn’t give me time to get my goodnight kiss?”

“You want to lay all of that at her door?” referring ever so gingerly to my propensity for mixed signals.

“No.” I admit with a smile. “I just want you to rectify the situation.”

We silently cross the intersection. As we step onto the far curb I snicker slightly.

“See, ‘rectify the situation’ is subtle for…”

He doesn’t let me finish. I should be expressing mock indignation at this flamboyant interruption with bonus back-dip. Instead I open my mouth, slightly. With a smile.

“What ye be grinning at?”

I arch my eyebrow in that irresistible way. “You really should rectify the situation again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment